Sunday, September 05, 2010

Eating in Vienna

Well I've obviously flapped my wings and am now on the other side of the planet.  After having landed in London on Thursday afternoon, Smee and I wasted no time and jumped on a plane to Vienna on Saturday morning.  Jet lag?  It's just a state of mind I say!

Having been to Vienna in 2007, we had done a lot of the touristy stuff.  Regardless, we had little time anyway as the main purpose of the trip was PF's birthday.  However what did we did manage to do was indulge in some Austrian cuisine.

First stop, Figlmueller for what Smee promised me - a giant wiener schnitzel.  Even their website claims 'OUR SCHNITZEL IST (sic) THE BIGGEST'.
A short queue outside the restaurant at 3pm meant this was a good thing.  Being only the two of us, we were given preferential seating hehehehe.

The biggest bread basket I've ever encountered.  I didn't eat any of it.  Yay - almdudler

We expected one cordon bleu but instead got two hefty-sized ones.  Our recommended side dish - potato field salad with pumpkin seed oil dressing.  Nummy! 

The biggest schnitzel I have ever seen.  It's wider than me!  Don't worry, it was nicely thinned out and supremely covered in a light batter.  Not as heavy a dish as you may think.  

Efficient eating.  A mouthful of everything please! 

Anyway so that was lunch and dinner was to be three hours later.  I didn't take any photos of dinner, but that doesn't matter because the next day I took photos of our lunch at the Zoo's Tirolergarten Tavern.
I had the sausages wrapped in bacon with chips.  This was a nice, tasty heart attack on a plate.  Until you've had sausages in Europe, you don't realise how yummy they can really be.  Num nums!!  Smee had the pork loaf with potato dumplings.  It was nice, but I liked my dish better hehe.

Finally, I can never leave Vienna without amping up my supply of Manner wafers.  Smee had to stop me from taking more.  

Toodle-loo Vienna!

3 comments:

SuBoo said...

Ok now I want a schnitzel. I should stop reading your blog at night.

mallymoodle said...

Mmm schnitzel....
I can't believe Smee stopped you from taking more wafers. *huff*

Anonymous said...

talking about huge schnitzel. Next time if you ever go to Wiesbaden, Germany, you should this restaurant Waldgeist. It has everything in gigantic size including schnitzel!

-fenfen-