Monday, July 19, 2010

Book Review: My Favourite Wife

It's been a while since I've read a book.  You may have noticed that the 'Currently Reading' sidebar has not changed for a few months and it still lists My Favourite Wife by Tony Parsons.  It still shows that particular book, because I have not progressed any further in the story.  I took a break from reading it in December and managed to finish and review Superfreakonomics in that time.

I have no idea where My Favourite Wife is now.  I brought it all the way over from London in November last year and then I took it all they way back to London in April this year.  Now, I think I left in London for Smee to read.

I couldn't care less if I don't finish this book.  I really did try to push on but after working my way into the first third and I just couldn't take it anymore.  It was utter crap.  How did Tony Parsons manage to publish multiple books?  Ok, admittedly I've never read any of his other publications but based on this book, I'm not likely to.

The writing was unsophisticated but the worst part was that it was obviously trying hard to be so; it reeked, reeked, REEKED of desperation in trying to elicit emotions from the reader; the characters were outrightly annoying (they all needed a punch to the face) and were horribly stereotyped and the story, well it was just plain old SHIT and I could see from a mile away it was heading into Clichéville:-

British family make the difficult move to China for British Man's career.  I didn't get this far in the book to confirm it but I predicted that British Man has affair with local Chinese Girl.  British Man deals with the consequences.  Who cares what happens next? 
 Boring, boring, boring.  

I read a lot of crap (and I enjoy it too!) but this has got to be one of the worst books I've ever read.  I laughed after reading some of the 1-star reviews on Amazon.  I'm glad I didn't get too far in the book as many reviews call it derogatory and racist and I might have totally........cracked...........it.

Quality of Content: 1
Readability: 1 (both of these really should be 0 and not rate at all)
Would I recommend this book: Hell no!!!!
Who to: Only to people who like reading drivel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm reading this book now! after your review...i don't know whether i should stop reading....

fen-fen

Pooey said...

well... im quite opinionated with books and wont tolerate reading anything that i find annoying.. but you can try to read it!