Saturday, February 20, 2010

Breakfast by the Beach

Another day, another meal and of course lovely YL chaffeured both of us down to Clovelly beach for brunch at Seasalt Cafe.  Clovelly is definitely not the pick of the bunch when compared to other nearby beaches but hey, most importantly it had a beachside cafe without the usual associated crowds.  Really, who could complain anyway given that we were essentially spoilt for beach choice and the weather was certainly up to it's usual sunny standards.

I'd been to Clovelly I think once in my time of living in Sydney and I vaguely recall that whoever I was with (most likely a bunch of other poor uni students), we arrived at the beach and then immediately decided to make our way down to the more nicer, less concreted option.  I'm not a real beach goer anyway, but I do like my walks on the sand.  Good for exfoliating!  

Interesting fact - there is decent snorkelling at Clovelly beach!! Wtf... after my trip to the Great Barrier Reef, maybe I'll come back to check it out!

After contemplating the Eggs Benedict, I decided instead to go for the semi-works and have the poached eggs, sourdough, bacon, tomato with an extra portobello mushroom on the side.  Poached eggs are my vice you see.  One of my pet hats is being served poached eggs with a hard yolk.  (Send it back to the kitchen, I say!)  Mine today of course were  perfectly runny.  Num nums.
This dish of course is nothing special, but I realised how much I love (and missed) having breakfast in Australia!  The food just felt...... cleaner.   I can't describe it any other way.  In reality my dish was just a version of the British Fry-Up.  Sure, I don't doubt you can have the exact equivalent somewhere in the UK.  However the meal just feels *that* much healthier when you're sitting under the shade of an open verandah, enjoying the refreshing sea breeze and view of the sun-beamed beach.  Yes, life is tough indeed.

2 comments:

SuBoo said...

All the poached eggs I ever had in the UK were not runny at all - they looked ok but the yolks were always hard - boooo!

Spu said...

Num nums poached eggs!!!