Sunday, November 09, 2008

London Westfield

The new Westfield London opened recently. There was much media coverage and hoo-ha about it. It was billed as 'Changing the Face of London Shopping'. When I first arrived in London, I always wondered 'where are the shopping malls around here?' and 'why are people still subjecting themselves to street shopping in this stupid weather?'. I am puzzled as to why 'shopping on the High Street' still reigns supreme here. Mind you, it took me a little why to figure out that bit of British terminology. (Me in London first time: 'Shopping on the High St? Wtf does that mean?')

High street shopping has it's charms and perks. I enjoy wandering down Bridge Rd, Chapel St and Oxford St (Sydney).
The Antipodean weather often encourages that kind of lazing-up-and-down-the-street-now-I'll-just-stop-for-a-coffee type of shopping. However in Australia I also have the option of going to a shopping centre which usually are no more than a 10 minute drive away.

High street shopping in the UK is perky and charming too.... when it's sunny. When it rains (and yes, the stereotype fits) or it is just plain cold, then it's just plain old shit. Hmmm for me, that would be about 80% of the calendar year. Umbrellas everywhere, people everywhere, puddles everywhere, buses splashing puddles everywhere. It really is an ordeal. Hey, even when it's sunny outside, it still can be crap. Going into a store on the High Street expecting some relief from the relative heat, you come to the realisation that effective air-conditioning doesn't exist in this town. The closest shopping mall is somewhere in Zone 4 or 5. Bleah.

There are plenty of those worried about Westfield affecting the Brits traditional high street shopping. To that I say:

"I'm all for the quaint high streets with the boutique and quirky stores (Carnaby St, Covent Garden), but look at the typical High Streets (Oxford, Regent St) and it is all just chain store after chain store - nothing special. Where is the charm and uniqueness? Even the cafes are chains. The advantage of a mall is that all the chain stores are within close proximty and you don't have to fight the elements. The Brits cling onto High Street shopping for no other reason than a means of identity - maintaining 'Britishness'. With the UK's climate, they should embrace shopping malls or at least, covered footpaths."

So...... *nyah*

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that sheltered footpaths are non-existent in London too. Maybe I wouldn't be blogging this post if Oxford and Regent streets' footpaths were covered.

Anyway I made my way down to "Shoppo" to see how it stacked up to it's Australian counterparts. I was impressed but at the same time not impressed. I've never been to a decent mall in the UK or Europe for that matter so Westfield London was impressive in that regard. But otherwise, it reminded me much of Westfield Bondi which opened several years ago and also Chadstone. Ok, so the London complex was purpose built and has a clearer layout than Bondi but it exhibited the same clean lines, glass fronted stores and modern design. I'd expect Westfield Donnie and any other Westfields undergoing refurbishment in Oz to look similar. I think I'm just jaded with shopping centres and they have to be really superspecial before I'll be impressed.

I was happy to hear that Boost Juice had opened it's first London store in Westfield :D

That was my highlight. Although paying the equivalent of $8 for a $4 drink wasn't great.

I got the same ice cream headache I get whenever I drink a Boost Juice. That's reassuring :D

So verdict on London shoppo? Yeah it's pretty good, I'll go there again. Way better than shopping on the High St.

No comments: