Sunday, February 18, 2007

Yauatcha and China White

First of all, a happy new year to you all!! Oink oink, bring on the year of the piggie!!

In the spirit of Chinese New Year, we kept things asian-ised last night. Dinner was at Yauatcha, a restaurant which serves dim sum all day long. Hmmmmm.... what to say? This place is owned by the same guy who owns the McDonalds-esque Wagamama empire. I'll admit, I've never eaten at Wagamama but I've heard too many bad reviews to want to try. Wagamama has obviously provided him one hefty pocket and it's reported he injected £42 million into this little pet project of Yauatcha.

While I would like to dine here again - the yum cha was tasty and fresh, the iced teas invigorating, the desserts appealing (too full to sample), I still couldn't shake off the whole 'white man's Chinese restaurant' feeling. The food was authentic enough and there were some fellow asian diners but I dunno, it just irked me. Maybe it had something to do with the inflated prices, the gimmicky use of serving yum cha at night, the English-only menu, the predominantly non-asian waiters and the clean, poshly decorated surroundings. C'mon, it is a stark contrast when you're accustomed to being served yum cha by cart-wheeling Honkie students. Alright, enough from me, here's the important stuff:

Mmmmmmmmm while waiting for our table, we were placed near the dessert display. Mmmmmm tantalising...... but I didn't spot any custard egg tarts!


Trusty ol' me contemplating dessert.


Ummm a green tea mousse I think.


Ermmm... lemon sponge cake? I can't remember. I'm sure it was fancier than that.


Smee at the dessert bar.

In keeping with the Chinese theme, it was deemed appropriate that our next venue be the China White nightclub. JK, Lil Miss J, Leesh and a whole bunch of other Melburnites joined us for good old fashioned fun!! Baoey, Mona and Mr. L..... tsk tsk... twas a fun night. Not too much alcohol!!

Smee a bit tanked early in the night.


An obligatory girly shot.


Two Smees.


Lil Miss J and I enjoying our first date.


JK and Leesh.


Leesh had so much fun that she broke a heel from her shoe. Smee offered to break her other heel but she declined. Her limping resulted in her early departure.


Yes Lil Miss J, I want a second date too. Jules happy being the third wheel.


Smee doing his best female impersonation.


What's this? A photo not of us?


My face slowing melting.

Eventually Lil Miss J and JK decided to call it a night. We attempted to take a photo with the oh-so-cute (beer goggle effect?) South African bartender David who happily served us several times, but this is what happened instead:
Some weirdo with Lil Miss J and no bartender. Oh well. Lil Miss J's face is a classic.
.
A fun night regardless with no mishaps or misfortunes!!!

6 comments:

peishapan said...

That boob grope pic is a classic. Can I get a copy of that (blown up)?

peishapan said...

I was also going to say want to use that pic as my desktop wallpaper but I think i might get sued for sexual harrasment at work.

mallymoodle said...

hai poo

Anonymous said...

No problem! Boob Grab pic is for sale in all resolutions including widescreen mode. We can customise sizes to suit your peference!
Prices start from £10.

Anonymous said...

I'm sooooooo jealous! you guys all looked beautiful.....your hairs are wonderful ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi LAdies! I almost cried when I saw that shot of the girlies..and boa abd moanies - i miss you all!!!

Jess..you are a classic - how coul dyou reject Frannie like that? I would have been deeply offended had you responded to one of my grabs like that - but you wouldn't do that cos you love me more than i love you! hehehe just kidding = p