Saturday, December 10, 2011

Snorkelling with Spu

When in Cairns, one must go to the Great Barrier Reef.  I had a most fun time swimming with the fishies last time, I really wanted to go again but not as a Nigel this time.  Cue the Spu.  

Spu was a bit worried that he wasn't a strong enough swimmer for snorkelling.  I said, 'I reckon I'm a worse Asian swimmer than you and if I could snorkel last time, you can do it too.'  We contemplated diving but the health restrictions recommended not flying within 24 hours.  Best not to risk it but anyway, it was much more expensive.

We examined a bunch of brochures and settled on the Moore Reef Cruise from Sunlover.  I had thought my previous tour had a big boat but this Sunlover boat was about double the size.  
Our boat.  Ok, it's a catarmaran. 

Spu sitting next to Mr. Green Sea Turtle.  

First pit stop.  Fitzroy Island!  This seemed more to be where locals got off with their BBQ and cricket bats.  

A good 30-40% of passengers got off the boat at Fitzroy Island, leaving Spu and I with a LOT of rowdy Mainlanders.  Of course we were mistaken for them too.  

Once we reached the Sunlover purpose built pontoon, we all jumped off ready for our chosen activities.  Spu and I decided to snorkel first.  
Spu and I channeling our inner ninja.  Stinger season peeps!  I don't need a stinger bite.  

The view from the pontoon.  Water so clear.  Fish so bright and pretty.  

These pics were taken by a disposable waterproof camera and the grainy appearance is genuine, not Instagram filtered.  

Fishies so close to me!!!  Spu and I each tried to touch them but they were too quick.  

We also saw a Green Sea Turtle :D  I couldn't get a photo but I'm so happy to have seen one especially as I was quite disappointed at missing out last time.  I can die happy.  Content with our snorkel adventure, Spu and I decided to hit the buffet lunch and of course missed out on the fresh prawns because they'd been attacked by the Mainlanders.  Grrrrrrr.  

Next actvity - the semi submersible tour.  It's almost a submarine.  
Spu decided that it was too hot for a shirt.  Mainlander demonstrating a Camera Stance. 

Next activity - Glass bottom boat.  It's so dangerously close, it's a wonder they don't hit any of the coral.
My view through the glass bottom. 

Better idea of the view through the glass bottom.  My favourite coral is there too!  The spaghetti looking coral.  I like how it wafts in the water.  

Next activity - petting zoo.  Ok, it's not a zoo, it was a touch tank.
Spu not enjoying the big black sea cucumber.  Me enjoying it too much.  It was slimy and squishy and we were discouraged from squeezing it.  It would spurt water otherwise. 

Another sea cucumber I think.  It looked like a loaf of bread in the water, but when removed became deflated and bit sad :(  Me so happy to have a baby starfish in my hands.  It was alive! 

Next activity - presentation on the Great Barrier Reef.  Held on the pontoons underwater theatre.  This was very pretty and an excellent way of seeing up close the fish you didn't get to meet while snorkelling.  I could sit here for hours just staring at them..... or I could stare at a screensaver.  Nah, real fish are better.
Look at the parrot fish!  It has human buck teeth!  

I was pretty satisfied that Spu and I did EVERYTHING available on the pontoon bar the extra optional activities.  So with our fours hours up on the reef, we boarded the catamaran and headed back to Cairns.

Now for dinner.  I had eyed a ramen bar near my work and even though it's never soupy weather in Cairns, nothing was stopping Spu and I from scarfing up some tonkotsu goodness.  Hearing Japanese spoken within the restaurant is always encouraging and we were seated promptly.  Spu and I had popped in at a good time because shortly afterwards, a queue formed.  Also, when a ramen bar gives you the option of stipulating how 'hard/chewy' you want your noodles to be.....well that's a good thing.
I ordered the Tonkotsu I think whereas Spu, feeling the heat ordered a cold soup ramen.  He was a bit apprehensive but happy with his very tasty and refreshing choice.  We also ordered a serve of the homemade gyoza.

The reviews for this place are generally positive and while it's probably not the best bowl I've had (soup was tasty but some more topping wouldn't have hurt) I was pretty happy overall and Spu (being the less fussy eater) was super happy.  We shall return!  

2 comments:

mallymoodle said...

Pooey is always excited to handle animals. Like the donkey at Versailles!

Lynnie said...

You guys had so much fun!! hehe.......did tourists guides come up to you both and speak japanese? That happened to me ALL the time when I was in cairns! it was kinda funny.

i was really impressed with all the asian food in qld, esp the gold coast. i guess they gotta keep all the tourists happy!