Monday, September 19, 2011

Wabi Sabi Garden

Hunting for food is something I do when I'm back in town and am formally permitted to eat in a civilised setting with non-imaginary people.  Today's non-imaginary person was Spuey and the setting of today's hunt was Wabi Sabi Garden in St Kilda.  (Not to be confused with their Collingwood spot.)

I had assumed that Wabi Sabi would be located in the bustling part of St Kilda but no, instead it was on a residential street which otherwise had nothing else going for it.  A bit of an odd place for a restaurant but hey this is Melbourne and odd places are the norm.  The 'Best Japanese Restaurant in Victoria' award on their website simultaneously elevated my expectations and excitement levels.  *rubs hands with glee*  I've said it before and I'll say it again - Japanese food in Melbourne is only so-so and Sydney does it way better.  I was hoping in anticipation I would find my Melbourne Japanese gem in Wabi Sabi.  
Spuey admires the indoor iron tree. 

I find a rope monkey hanging from the branches. 

Because we were ready to go all out, Spuey and I had the Wabi Sabi Signature Share Plate Course.  You have the option of either six ($60pp) or eight ($80 pp) dishes to share and of course, we chose eight.  

 (L-R)  Hiramasa Kingfish Sashimi with ponzu lime dressing, garnished with mint and garlic chips.  Oyster tempura with asparagus sauce.  Lightly scorched ocean trout and scallop nigiri with lemon. 

(L-R) Oyster mushroom and fish tempura.  Duck breast with mustard sauce. Crumbed minced lamb balls infused with spices and red wine miso sauce. 

(L-R)  Delicately poached broadbill tuna in a tasty thin bodied Japanese stew.  Wagyu meat balls with a dark miso demi-glace sauce. 

So did I find my Japanese gem?  The short answer is No.  Overall, the food was quite average and nothing mind-blowing.  Nothing was 'bad' but nothing was 'omg I have to return for this' either.  It was all just 'good'.  Basically Wabi Sabi didn't go beyond the usual expectation of a Japanese restaurant.  At the price of $80pp, it is average in terms of value and both Spu and I were definitely full.  The one thing Wabi Sabi did do well was offer dishes which are otherwise not seen on typical Japanese (but run by Chinese) menus.  I'd say that is worthy enough to book yourself a dinner and test the waters.  

I figure it might be me with the problem.  I do have a slight issue with bias because eating Japanese at excellent places really does set the bar quite high.  It was only a month ago that I was left super-impressed with the dishes I sampled at Tokkuri located in suburban Sydney (no blog though).  I had left thinking 'Gee I wish this was my local Jap place.'  Why can't more of these places exist in Melbourne? :(  My thoughts about Japanese food in Melbourne have only been reinforced.  

Oh the other thing I should add - both Spu and I had extreme bowel movements immediately after dinner - or in Spu's case, late during dinner.  Whether this can be attributed to consuming excess amounts of food or other causes related to restaurant hygiene, shall remain a mystery.  

No comments: