Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The Phantom of the Opera

As someone who enjoys musical theatre, I had so far managed to flutter through life having never seen the modern classic The Phantom of the Opera.  I know I know.  I get the *shock horror* look from others whenever I tell them so.  It ran in Melbourne for a few years but I was a povo teenager back then and could not afford tickets.  Also, at the time I didn't quite understand the appeal of the dramatic 'opera' and the pipe organ was repellent to my ears.

But for a production to have a 20-something year run on stage, it's gotta be kinda good right?  Despite London being the city of discounted theatre tickets, Phantom tickets were always in demand and prices never seemed to dip below £40 for the crappy seats!   You know how I feel about crappy seats.  I really needed to tick Phantom off my list and making the most of my leisure time in London, I booked myself some kick-ass dress circle seats for today's matinee.  No, they weren't cheap, ringing in at £60 but given that converts to $100, that is still better than what I paid for Jersey Boys in Australia!  I really should stop moaning about theatre prices in London.
Outside Her Majesty's Theatre.  

Well, my Phantom Virgin status is no more, having been deflowered today by the creepy man/phantom himself.  I nearly missed the start having realised that my watch was running 10 minutes behind and I had to scoot my way down Regent street.

All I can say is that I totally get the hype.  From the opening sequence (flashing lights, giant chandelier, scary music!!!) all the way to the end, there was never a low point.  It also helped that I did not bother to read a synopsis (yeah I know, I didn't even know the storyline) and so I paid close attention to the plot.  Man, it was dark and psychological!!!!  (And kinda scary!)  The Phantom is one craaaaazy mutha!  Christine kisses the Phantom - Eeeew!!
Well, here is my view of the stage.  Smack bang in the centre of my row in the dress circle.  I even had 5 empty seats next on both sides of me.  I did find myself pining for the stalls though because the upper circle overhang impeded my view of the chandelier rising and I wondered where it stopped.  

My highlight was seeing the river of candles and smoke when the Phantom first takes Christine to his lair in his little row-boat.  The stage sets and costumes were just very impressive.  Maybe I am super dumb but how did the Phantom disappear?!  Twice!!  Absolutely flawless.  (Off topic - How did the Beast turn into the Prince?)

Anyone wanting to view the London production, here goes:
So, I get it.  I finally understand why this has been on stage for so long and it is definitely a musical which I'll be watching again.  That all well and said, the sequel to Phantom - Love Never Dies, which opened in March - sounds absolutely terrible!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must watch this!

fen-fen