Saturday, May 29, 2010

Meals For One

Being here for two weeks really limits your dinner options to salad, instant noodles, ready-marinated meats, TV dinners and takeaway.  It's a bit hard to justify buying condiments for the short period of time, but it's long enough to not want to eat out every night.

I know it's not the healthiest option, but I must pay homage to the Latina Fresh product range.  If I want creamy sundried tomato pasta, I don't want to buy cream, sun-dried tomato, flour, milk and whatever else you need to make the sauce.  I'll just buy the Latina tub thanks!  Latina, you are my hero.
I tried to make it healthier by adding spinach.  I also added some parma ham but I have to say, cured meats in Australia are really substandard.  I miss my European cured meats :(

For my final dinner in Townsville, I treated myself to some sushi at Gyo Japanese Tapas Bar.  It was walking distance to where I was staying but I was a bit put off by the fact it called itself a Tapas Bar.  Why the Spanish reference?  That was enough for me to doubt the sushi quality and was expecting the restaurant to be run by non-Japanese folk serving bastardised versions of one of my much loved foods.

But.......I was very much impressed with Gyo and am kicking myself for not going sooner!  I was pleasantly surprised to see and hear Japanese chefs in the kitchen which is not absolutely essential but is a definite plus.  Gyo was a bit on the expensive side with my platter costing $25 for a mere eight pieces but hey, at least I wasn't paying $25 for bad sushi.  I had some really nice fresh cuts of fish and they didn't skimp on the slice thickness either.  I actually have to admit, it was the nicest sushi I've eaten out in a long time..... but then again, I haven't been to a sushi restaurant in a long time.
My platter with my green tea thickshake.  Num nums.  

For anyone in Townsville, I would definitely recommend going to Gyo for your sushi fix.  Otherwise, it's off to bed for me as I have a 6am flight home tomorrow!

No comments: