Monday, March 15, 2010

The Shug Take 2 - Completed!

I've now completed The Shrug - yay!

I had some initial problems with the lace pattern.  The first time after knitting about 6 rows, I realised the 'holes' weren't aligned.  Being a virgin lace knitter, I had no idea how to fix it so I my only choice was to frog it back to the ribbing.  Then the second time, the holes didn't align AGAIN.  After getting pissed off, I nearly stopped the project but on reconsideration decided that third time should be lucky.  I concentrated extra hard on my work and finally yay, the shrug was well on it's way.  For anyone who is not used to knitting lace patterns, I cannot emphasise enough that you need to pay attention! 

Once I got into the rhythm I did luuuurvvve knitting it - the lace pattern is so addictive! 
The deconstructed Shrug.  Ready for construction.  Yep.

Now onto the home stretch - seaming the edges.  Ugh.  As I mentioned in my Baby Booties post, I hate seaming.  I really need to perfect my technique before diving in to making something I potentially want to wear in public.  All that effort to knit up something nice is reduced to nothing when it gets ruined with bad seaming.  Well, that is pretty much what has happened to the Shrug.  Dammit.

My main criticism is that I should've gone with my gut instinct and not have slipped the first stitch as the pattern instructed.  The pattern promised that slipping the first stitch would result in easier seaming!  I've only ever seamed projects otherwise.... consequently, my seams ended up being so, so, SO ugly!  It's not too bad as the way the shrug sits, the awful seams are hidden beneath my armpits.  But when the garment moves, it's all too terribly obvious.  Also, it's a bit loose on my upper arms as a result of me not seaming it high enough. 

I am undecided about whether I like it or not.  Probably because I set my sights on wanting to LOVE it.  I'm much happier about how it sits on me than the previous disaster (of which the seams were much neater), but ...nnnngggh... I still can't get over my perfectionist tendencies.
The back view.  My cute posing helps a lot.

Front view.  Yep the seams are nicely hidden by my armpits. 

How the shrug will look when I am doing my 'normal' thing. 

Anyway, I probably will wear it one day.  I also may have another attempt at knitting the shrug at a later stage.  Now, onto a different knitting project! 

3 comments:

mallymoodle said...

It rooks alright from the pictures!

SuBoo said...

Yeah noice - I am impressed by your knitting - I have no patience whatsoever!

J said...

It's cute babe! I rikey!