Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Cumulus Inc

Tonight's dinner was meant to be at the latest "it" restaurant, Mamasita but the no reservations policy and 1 hour and 15 minute wait time meant that we had to search for an alternative.  One of the things I do ruv about Melbourne is finding happening places in the most unlikely of places.  I still enjoy the surprise at opening a non-descript door, walking up some narrows stairs only to find the space it leads to is crowded and buzzing.  I mean, that's pretty cool isn't it?  Mamasita fills the space that Recorded Music Salon bar once occupied and the space works well for them.  But oh well, no dinner there tonight, maybe next time.... like when I decide to eat dinner at 5pm!

Nearby was Cumulus Inc, another "it" restaurant and on my 'to eat' list.  I guess it wasn't gonna be a night of Maccas or Chinatown after all.  It was also buzzing and full (wtf, it's Wednesday!!) but we scored a seat on the communal table.  Better than waiting and we were were starving!

The a la carte dishes are intended for sharing which is no big deal coming from an Asian background.  Our waiter was pretty awesome and seemed to enjoy the whole deal with being in the service industry.  We settled on the:
  • smoked wagyu tongue from the charcuterie, 
  • foie gras parfait with toasted brioche (my fave), 
  • the snapper with spiced tomato, grilled prawns, coriander and mint, 
  • veal backstrap with green bean salad and anchovy dressing, 
  • the whole slow roast lamb shoulder 
  • the wheat and freekah salad to complement the lamb (waiter's recommendation - Btw, what is freekah?)
Between four of us, that might sound like a lot but the portions were small.  In fact they were so small that throughout dinner we all contemplated going to buy some Maccas fries afterwards.   Don't get me wrong, the food was nice and the foie gras especially deserves a special mention *clap clap* but as each dish was presented to our table, I sensed some silent "My god, that's small" thoughts running through our heads.  Either that or I am used to consuming larger than normal portions.  Regardless this 'portion control' has it's advantages; one of those being able to sample more flavours and another of not over-eating, something of which I am guilty of doing many times over.  

I was a little annoyed that the wheat and freekah salad came out about 20 minutes before the lamb.  How can the complementing side dish come out so early?!  Don't the kitchen have this kinda thing under control?!  I've already had my whinge that the portions were small.  Well, they TOTALLY made up for it once the hunk of lamb shoulder was plonked down on the table.  The smell of the lamb had lingered in the air for a while and was ever so tantalising.  Finally, the meat to go with our freekah salad.   
I only had my shitty iPhone camera which does NOTHING for photographs in dim light.  This is the best I could do with our ravaged lamb shoulder.  Mmm mmm mmm.

The meat was just perfect - tender, moist and succulent.  The freekah salad did go very well it indeed!  We decided that a decent souvlaki bar with lamb on a spit could give you a similar lamb-rush.  I'm not insulting the dish - such a comparison is intended in a most favourable manner!  We didn't need any Maccas fries after all.  I'd definitely go back to Cumulus Inc for the lamb shoulder.  Had it not been for this carnivore's dream of a dish, it might have been a case of  ... I'd return, but not so soon.

At about $55 per head, I initially thought that this was quite an expensive dinner.  Moo talked some rationale into me.  For this 'type' of restaurant it's actually quite reasonable and when compared to places like Nobu ($90), it is comparatively a bargain.  Despite the strong AU$, this dinner still converts to £33 which is fairly standard for a London restaurant of a lower calibre than Cumulus Inc.  This really puts things into perspective for me.  Prices may have risen sharply in Oz during my time abroad but you still get better value than the UK! *shakes fist*

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

I told you I was freekah!