Friday, March 19, 2010

New Hairstyle

The last time I cut my hair was back here and yep, it's pretty clear I'm not exactly high maintenance when it comes to grooming of the head fuzz.  It was the same old story (fringe in my face, general blah-ness - see right) which prompted my desire to track down a new hairdresser.

Having enjoyed the shorter length of my previous haircut, I critically anaylsed how my lack of hair volume negatively impacted the otherwise excellent cut executed by my London hairdresser.  I bemoaned the fact that the instructions of my last haircut dictated that it needed to be permed.  The conclusion to my analysis?

Digital perm = Volume. 
∴ Digital perm + short haircut = Win!

I went back to Beauty Box and remained mindful of the fact that if my perm went haywire, I would be accelerating an otherwise inevitable transformation into Asian Auntyhood.  So I trawled Beauty Box for styles which had looser curls and less Ronald McDonald-esque and decided that these styles were what I was after. 

All I needed now was a hairdresser.  I was pretty happy with my perm from Good Morning Hair a few years back, but the salon itself is a bit hit and miss.  It just so happened that while walking around town, I saw that a new salon had opened up and that they were having 50% off promotions.  It was stupidly named CATS Hair.Skin and the staff suspiciously looked like Good Morning Hair staff but when I asked if they were associated, they (too) quickly denied any knowledge. 

I queried how long a digital perm would take and was quoted 2 hours... which seemed a bit short to me.  Nevertheless, I booked myself in and decided that this was how I wanted to spend my Friday night.  They weren't wrong and the whole job did take just over 2 hours.  I nerdily took notes and basically the process went like this:

Wash hair
Cut hair
Put hair into rollers. I had 3 hairdressers simultaneously attending to me.  Velcro rollers were mounted at my scalp and my hair wrapped around a secondary roller which would then be ...
.. given the "Digital Heat", in other words I go hooked up to an octopus-like machine
Wash hair (again)
Nutrition treatment application.  My hair was literally fist pounded by the hairdresser and then a shower-cap was put on.
Sit under a radiating rotating heater.
Wash hair (third time).
Blow dry with 2 hairdressers going at it.
Feathering scissors to cut more of my hair. WTF! Don't thin out my hair!
Final touch hair trims.
Blow dry again this with a twirling action.
Finish off the look with some silky hair essence.

So after all that, this is the final look:
Ta-dah!!!!!!

Jane, my assigned hairdresser was supercute and enthusiastic and I would definitely recommend her.  Her English seemed a bit off to start with but she seemed to understand what I wanted.  I'm sure it helped that I brought in photos of what I wanted.
For those interested, all the angles you care for.

The rear view.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  The real test is how it will look after the first wash and how long it will last.  I was told it would last a month (?!?!) which I'm a bit disappointed about given that my previous perm lasted about six!

Now excuse me while I go sleep on my face.

3 comments:

mallymoodle said...

Yay, Pooey finally blogged again!

SuBoo said...

YAYAY!

Anonymous said...

your hairdresser is JANE?? ehehh...

fen-fen