Sunday, September 13, 2009

Oxford

I've been to Cambridge and now Smee, Fen-Fen and I set off to visit it's arch rival Oxford.  Both schools have been around for aeons and have the cobbled stones and old buildings to prove it.  The drive was only about 90 minutes from home and it was very close to Bicester Village too!  (There's a new section including Gucci, Jimmy Choo but we didn't have time to detour :( )

While browsing for Oxford hoodies, I found the Snowman!  Fen-Fen was lucky enough to have friends who were still studying at Oxford and of course were more than happy to give us a guided tour. *thumbs up for friends*



The rows and rows of bikes parked on street.  It's really the best way to get around the narrow alleys and lanes.






A bridge connecting two buildings - can't remember what it's called.






The Sheldonian Theatre, designed by Christopher Wren who practically redesigned London's buildings after the fire of 1666.  Hmmm *ponder* yes, yes, I do see the similarity to St. Pauls.







Oxford University has an extensive alumini list, including many who are well... pretty darn famous - Lewis Carroll being one of them.  As homage to him, they have got a little Alice in Wonderland shop!

The store is full of knick knacks (read: crap) and I just wanted to buy it all!  Especially the Cheshire Cat teapot cosy.... even though I errr I can't recall when I last used my very own teapot.

Across the road from the shop are some gardens leading to Christ Church, one of the filming locations for Harry Potter!  It makes me so happy to see the filming locations :D *clap clap* and *happy dance*

Smee and I with Christ Church behind us.


Yes, the grass is a prized feature for many of the college/church grounds and you aren't allowed to walk on it!  Well not the plebs, only certain members of academia can do so.


Oooh I'm on the staircase that the little witches and wizards walked on to get to the dining hall!


Smee in Hogwarts Dining Hall!  He's riveted as you can see.


Lewis Carroll was also a tutor at Christ Church and in the dining hall are some stained glass windows with the Alice in Wonderland characters.. How cute.

Oxford - done and dusted!

1 comment:

J said...

OOer I really like your hair in these photos (not that I don't like them normally, but they just look really good here)