Sunday, July 12, 2009

British 10K Run

Inspired from last year's 10K run, this time I actually made a conscious decision to participate rather than fill in as a last minute replacement. I figured that if I could do it last year with a blase training schedule, then surely this year I would make it a piece of cake. Ok, ok I exaggerate. It would be nice to make such runs 'a piece of cake' but I set myself the same goal as last year which was the more realistic target of 'not stopping'.

The Race for Life run in May was a bit of a warm up but you know, that was a whole two months ago and my half-committed training schedule - 'oh fark, the 10K is in four weeks!!' - didn't help. In preparation, I looked at the running route provided to me in my race pack and noticed that it was different to the previous year. In fact the route looked longer and I started having a panic attack. Did they shorten last year's race and I wasn't aware? Why the hell did this route cover so much more distance than what I recall running last year? I then realised I was looking at the half marathon map. Duh-yip-yip! Tee hee!

This year J and I joined forces with her colleagues to run for a purpose - the poor and homeless people in London. Thanks to everyone who made a donation! As a result of running for an organised charity we were given *bright* yellow singlets to wear. Yellow is most certainly not my colour.

I think about 9000 people participated in this year's run and not surprisingly, it takes a bit of time to shuffle that many people down Piccadilly to the starting line. We didn't get to the start line until 33 minutes after the shot of the start-gun. J and I bid our farewells (I wasn't going to try keep up with her!) and off we went on our merry way.

I'm thankful that this year was not a repeat of last year's wet singlet competition and it was sunny the whole way. The first 5 kms were ok and I was fairly content with ending my run there and then but no, no, of course I had another 5 kms to go. From there on the run dragged a bit and the final 3 kms especially were killing me. I kept thinking 'When will it be over?!?!?!' and when I got to Westminster Abbey and began running towards Victoria I was like 'I don't remember running this part of London last year!'

The race photographers were situated about 100 metres before the finish line ready to take our photos of glory. This is probably the best place for a photographer to be situated if they want to obtain the least flattering photo of a person running a race. I was sweaty, red, out of breath and grimacing. Let's just all agree that this photo (right) is not great and in fact is the perfect example of all things unaesthetically pleasing. I even look a bit fat! I think it was because while my fellow runners were stampeding their way to the finish, I was slumping it through. I must congratulate the photographer on capturing my pain most effectively with this photo.

Despite me portraying this run like it was chore it was do-able and I'm quite happy to have clocked in at 64 minutes, 12 seconds. J managed to crack the 60 minute mark with a time of 57 minutes (I think). She's a MACHIIIIIIIINNNNE. The worst part after finishing the race was J's chirpiness. 'Don't you just feel sooo goooooooooooood?' she chimed. My reply was a short 'Mmm yeah' as I shot her a 'don't look at me, woman' look. Aww J I still ruv you!

Of course, after the race I was happy to claim my cyber certificate :) J is trying to rope me in for the half-marathon she's signed up for but I know my limits and it hasn't quite extended to 21 kms.........yet.

1 comment:

J said...

hehheehe... but it was fun wasn't it??? I didn't know we got certs.. hahahaa... well.. i'm packing my daks.. half mara in three weekends.. what was i thinking? crazy! crazy!!!!