Monday, August 04, 2008

Jersey Boys

Oh yeah, this was a musical I was really looking forward to. Jersey Boys had set up shop in the old Mary Poppins theatre. I did have a poke around at getting tickets in New York last year, but unlike the West End in London, Broadway doesn't seem have the same type of cheapie tickets deals. Kt and I both really wanted to see it, but given that it was a new production, tickets were very much in the steep end. The tickets, one of which was Leesh's birthday gift (but she didn't join us because of the Kylie concert!) were erm... second row from the front. Maybe a little bit too close but hey, we were more than happy to watch spit fly from the performer's mouths.

Kt and I prepared for the big day by dancing and singing to the soundtrack, annoying everyone around us. Yes indeed, we did.

For those of you unfamiliar with the story, the musical is based on the events surrounding the band Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. At this point, a lot of people might ask, 'Who?'. But I will bet $100 - hell, make it
£100 - that you've heard at least one of their songs. Lemme list you a few - Oh, What a Night, Sherry, Stay and Can't Take My Eyes Off You. Still don't know? Lemme jog your memory:

Ok, I admit, I am quite biased. This musical would have had to be VERY shit for me to not enjoy it. But how shit could it have been? The music! The petty criminals! The blue collar background! The story writes itself.

The production is slick, the performances polished (we had an understudy for one of the supporting leads but you couldn't tell), the music... well that goes without saying - it is freaking awesome! Once in a while, Frankie's lead nasal tones might get to you, but hey, that's what makes the Four Seasons.

You can really tell how behind I am with updating. This is the London cast performing at the Royal Variety Show.. four months after the date of this blog entry. Either that or Jersey Boys are time travelers!

3 comments:

mallymoodle said...

MY EYES ADORED YOU!!! THOUGH I NEVER LAY A HAND ON YOU, MY EYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEES ADORED YOU!!!

....so close, and yet so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr!!!!

SuBoo said...

So I bought my parents preview tix for next week for this based on you and KT raving on about it. I'll see it later - I am going to watch Wicked on Sat night for the 3rd time *YAY*

Kate said...

That youtube performance is quite substantial! Covered most songs :)