Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thorpe Park

My love affair with amusement rides began when I was about 12 years old in my final year of primary school. We celebrated the end of the school year by going to Luna Park. I have no clear memories except for the Gravitron, but I do know that I repeated the joy in my first year of high school. I lined up for pretty much all the rides, even the lame-ass ghost train (yes, even as a 12 year old, I thought it was lame) and queued again for the ones I liked most. The last time I went to an amusement park was two years ago and it was high time I go again :D

Fear of heights, motion sickness? Nah, not me. (Ok, fine, I would be scared of heights if wasn't safely strapped in a chair). The closer I am to the start of the queue, the more excited I get :D I do pity those who are unable/refuse to experience the adrenalin rush. You really don't know what you're missing out on! It's a DRRUUUGGGGGG.... *happy sigh*

When Baoey suggested we go to Thorpe Park, I was like an American cheerleader going in for battle - BRING.... IT...... ON!!! Woo hoo! 2-for-1 tickets made it all the much better :D

Thorpe Park wasn't too far from central London, just a 30 minute ride from Waterloo into Ali G town (Staines) and then another 10 minutes or so on the shuttle bus. A not-so-long line greeted us on arrival. Pretty good considering it's the school summer holidays. I practically ran inside after getting my ticket.

Our first ride of choice was the Stealth - f**k yeah! With claims it is the fastest rollercoaster in Europe, it better be damn good. Well it wasn't so good lining up for 90 minutes before getting on the ride. Nor was it reassuring that the engineers had to do a spot check. Once strapped in, the ride began with a countdown and then an explosive rush to reach the 80mph (128km/h) maximum speed within 2 seconds. Wooooh! Oh yeaaaaaah.... The entire ride lasted a whole.... 30 seconds. :-s

Unfortunately this was the pattern for the whole day. Average queuing time was about 80 minutes. Grrrrr.... I don't remember having to queue this long for Movieworld or Dreamworld! If I ever go again (any takers? :D) I'll buy a Fastrack ticket to skip the queue.

Queuing for the Colossus me thinks.

A few rides here and there later, then the rain started to pour :( Not the best time to do the water rides but hey, if you're gonna get wet by the rain, might as well get wet from the rides too.

The rain all became a bit too much and thus ended our trip to Thorpe Park :( Anyone going again? Let me know!

No comments: