Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hairspray

I haven't watched the Hairspray movie; neither the 2007 or the 1988 version. Two reasons why: - I didn't know what it was about and secondly, because I didn't know what it about, it didn't interest me. I knew that John Travolta was in drag in it but that's it.

Well since being in London, I realised that the movie is based on the Broadway musical, so in turn I avoided watching the movie when possible. Not difficult to do given that the movie wasn't exactly in yer face.


Watching this was on my list but not terribly high. I could live without having gone seen it. Our cheap seats were in the upper most tier... and you all know how I feel about upper tiers. But this theatre wasn't too bad and I didn't have to strain my neck. The production is bright and chirpy. Big hair, colourful sets. The music is very similar in style of Jersey Boys - 1960s dancey, pop-y, rhythm and blues-y. I can see why it was made into a general release movie.

The plot is set in the 1960s around Tracy Turnblad, a teenager who becomes famous overnight after dancing on TV. Ooooh but she dances like a 'negro' (scandal!) and ends up a campaigner for racial harmony. I have to admit, I didn't expect morals to be so central to the plot in the musical. Not that it's a bad message (hey, who doesn't want to punch a racist?) but all the other musicals I've watched are either fairytale-esque, love/sob stories or just purely entertainment.

It gives you a light, happy night out which puts you in a smiley mood afterward. Definitely enjoyable with catchy songs. My favourites were 'Good Morning Baltimore' and 'I Can Hear the Bells'.



Macho men might not enjoy it. But then again, if the movie version has Zac Efron *rolls eyes*, then they're obviously not the intended audience.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Seeing it again on Monday next week :)