Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Hospital & Cupcakes

For reasons which I won't bore you with, I had to attend hospital in London. Not being able to do my real job here seriously debilitates me in a number of ways and unfortunately one of those things include affording private health insurance *eek!*

I figured, I'm a fairly healthy person, my mum insisted she didn't do any hard drugs while I was incubating in her uterus
and for a person who was conceived under not ideal conditions (try a refo island) I consider myself to be in a pretty spiffy medical state. So bye-bye to private medical insurance, the public system here should do me fine.

So, off I went to a public hospital for my scheduled procedure
after my previous night of pain and suffering (those damn drugs I had to take did their job too, too well!)

You know, I've been in teaching hospitals in Oz and yeah I was a bit surprised at the somewhat rundown conditions of the hallways etc and I have definitely been in normal Oz public hospitals which felt all hospital-ly but this London hospital I attended was a bit....... dilapidated. I wanted to say 'gross' but I accept that buildings in the UK have stood their test of time.

Walking into the hospital, I thought I was in the wrong place. It was grotty, the stair bannisters were worn, the wooden floors seemed like they were rotting. Definitely not the sterile environment one has come to expect. The reception desk wasn't obvious and it manned with a security guard of all people. Maybe the ONE receptionist/information assistant for this large hospital was at lunch? Anyway, I give kudos to the guard because he managed to point me in the correct direction. Wow, that is like the best customer service I've received since I arrived in the UK.

I am quite happy to say that while the waiting area of my hospital department was nothing to write home about, the doctor was extremely professional and the actual operating room was to the expected hygiene standards.

Anyway I had my *procedure* done and the coolest part was watching the doctor inject me with pethidine. I've always wanted to watch a needle be administered to me but never got the opportunity because 1. as a child, they always tell you to look away, 2. I was always lying down and couldn't view my arm when giving blood and 3. I haven't managed to get my hands on heroin yet.


I had to take this photo because this was my first time since birth of wearing a hospital band! I really felt like a hospital patient now! Also, I got a really cool tampon stuck to my wrist to cover the injection point.

You know what the best part of hospital is? People treat you like you're sick, even if you're not and bring you treats!

Thanks for the cupcakes, Leesh! They were mmmm mmmm mmmmmmmmmoist!

No comments: