Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Rome

Rome is another box to be ticked off the list, so here I was tagging onto Moo. After checking in to my so-not-worth-mentioning hotel, Mooey and I did a quick squiz of some of the sights.

Shuffling through St. Peter's square. It's kinda round.

The Spanish steps are more or less Rome's version of the stairs at Flinders St Station, except a little better. There was a sinking boat fountain nearby. I forget what it's called.
Outside the Pantheon, they were kinda closing for a service but that didn't deter the tourists from pushing in.
The oculus at the top of the dome.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do and EAT GELATI! It's one of the five food groups. Trust me. There weren't any seats available so we had to use our smarts and become Gutter Women.

Gelati tastes so much better sitting in the gutter.


Our babies. Actually, Mooey had a Tartufo.


Mooey at the Trevi Fountain and then Mooey not at the Trevi fountain.

Mooey and I then went back and slept in a single bed. Worse sleep EVER! I had to kick her out.

Day Two in Rome was 'see the Basilica properly' and 'visit ruins' day. We didn't get to The Vatican too late but the tourists had already made their attack. The queue to get inside the basilica stretched all the way around the square.

Mooey and I figured we'd play dirty and errrmm pushed in near the front. I felt bad, but not that bad. Another couple pushed in front of us, so that cleared my conscience.

We, being the ultra-fit gym bunnies that we are (that's sarcasm from my end) decided that we would walk up the 551 stairs to the cupola rather than take an elevator and climb only 320. We beat the elevator at the expense of my quadriceps.

Mooey and I making our way up the cupola - 'hey! These walls are curved!'
The steps weren't big - Mooey's feet are size 6.5.
Mooey figured there was an easier way down.


To go all the way to the Vatican and not climb the cupola is a shame. Look at the view!


Michelangelo's Pieta (Wow! That is, like, soooo famous!) and underneath the dome. We had a look at the crypts too but no photos.

Next was the Coliseum and the Roman Forum. Plenty of ruins for me to bask in.

Did I mention I was walking within Roman ruins? Must... ram... tourist photos.... down.... people's.... throats....

Mooey felt sick, so I ignored her and treated myself to a gelati.

Day Three in Rome was my last day and devoted to the Vatican Museum or more specifically, the Sistine Chapel. The queue are notorious long and we began queuing at 8.15am despite it not opening until 10am. And we still were no way near the front!!!! We had little choice but to chat to the lovely old English couple behind us who loved to bag London. Admittedly, the husband could talk to a brick wall.

The queue at forming behind us.
Oh yes! We're at the entrance!!


That's right. No camel-toes allowed in the museum.

Omg, I'm seeing it! I'm really seeing it! That famous snake sculpture! It's so famous, I don't even know it's name. (It's 'Laocoon' for buffoons like me). Mally doing a good job of ruining it.


Mooey not learning her lesson about patting dogs the wrong way.

Let's cut to the chase. I was here to see Michelangelo's celing at the Sistine Chapel. There were signs indicating no photography. But that didn't stop me. Or any other tourist for that matter. But the sign could have been interpreted to mean 'no flash photography' as it was those who used flash who got a bit of Italian lovin'.

Oops the angle wasn't quite right.

Aaaah super-satisfaction. Especially after numerous attempts which were dark and blurry.
This is how you look while viewing the ceiling.


Spot the Mooey

I dunno, for some reason, I don't feel the urge to go back to Rome. There was enough stuff to see but *shrug*. Don't quote me on that, I might go back one day. Well at least to Italy. The one thing I did learn in Rome - Mooey and I like to ruin photos.

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontana_della_Barcaccia