Sunday, March 04, 2012

Harry Potter Exhibition

When I told some friends I would be flying into Sydney for the Harry Potter Exhibition, I was met with 'nerd' taunts, ridicule and laughter.  I pity these people because they clearly do not know what they're missing out on.  *shakes head*  I could have been a much crazier fan - once, I contemplated taking a day off work to line up at Leicester Square for a premiere - but I have my limits.

When I found out that the exhibition featuring the props used in the movie series was leaving USA shores and landing in Sydney, I put it high on my to-do list.  I was hoping that it would travel around Australia but the website made it clear this was a Sydney only venture.  Boo.  But you know what?  That isn't really a problem because I "need" to collect frequent flyer points and what better way to do it than by flying in for the weekend and seeing some friends while I'm at it?  It's not preposterous at all!!

Despite the ridicule, I did manage to find some fellow appreciators of the wizarding world.  We found solace in each other.  JD's husband had refused to go with her when she wanted to attend a few months ago!
Look, I know deep down all you HP-haters are jealous of this souvenir photo ($20 wtf!!).  It's taken at the start of the tour and is waiting for you at the end.  All for your tourist rort pleasure.  

It was a good thing that we pre-booked tickets because today's session was sold out.  As we joined the line for our allocated timeslot, us girlies quickly noticed that we were pretty much the only adults in the queue without children hanging off our legs.  Pffft... Harry Potter is not for children!!

Anyway, no photography is allowed inside the exhibit (poo) but to give you a run down, we were first ushered into a room where the Sorting Hat welcomed us.  A few kids got sorted (as if they had time to sort all of us) and then the side doors were magically opened... by people.  We were then free to wander around and look at Harry's bed, Hermione's purple Yule Ball dress (she's my size I think!), Ron's shoes (big), Hagrid's hut (big chair inside) and of course Voldemort related stuff.  It was really well set up.  So much effort went into the costumes!  We spent about 90 minutes inside all up.

I "think" the exhibit prevented us from making our own souvenirs (photos) because they generously wanted to give us the opportunity to BUY our own souvenirs.  Oh yes please!  Rip me off, please!  Take my money, please!!  There was heaps of stuff to buy (gold plated Time Turner necklace for $100 anyone?) and after scouring the shelves, I limited my purchase to just two things.
Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans ($5 for a total of 34 grams.  Wtf!!!).  

I have not opened these yet to try but this will be an interesting exercise.  Vomit and booger flavoured jellybeans!

Yep my other souvenir. 

A muggle mug!!  ($20.  Wtf!!!)  Admittedly, I did want to buy much more but just could not bring myself to do it. 

On our exit, we were allowed to take pics next to the Hogwarts Express.  I wasn't too excited about that - I've already ridden it!  

For anyone interested in going (I know you all are), adult tickets are $32 a pop but hurry because it closes on 9 April!

No comments: