Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Aylesbury

After being mega impressed by the team and food at Añada, I had put their new sister restaurant The Aylesbury on the hitlist.  Spu and I were a little early for our reservation so while waiting for our table to be cleared, the staff suggested we go up to the rooftop bar.  Twas a nice bit of space and worthwhile for a return drink me thinks.  

Once seated, there wasn't much point in giving me, Spu, Tina and Shazza the menu - we had already decided that the $65 Feasting Menu was going to fill our stomachs tonight.  This unfortunately didn't include dessert but we were open to ordering them if need be.  That was a little annoying given that Añada did include 3 full sized desserts on their $70 menu! 

The Feasting Menu was pretty much a chef's selection of dishes but we were allowed to request the inclusion of specific dishes if we wanted.  Nice and flexible!

And so the feasting begins: 

We started with oysters with strawberry mignonette ($3.80 each) but I forgot to photograph them. 
Torched mackerel with green gazpacho and caviar ($10).  Errr I forgot what this was .. I think they're banana peppers.  Much like capsicum and not hot.  

Beef tartare with a smoked quail yolk. ($8)

'Pig, Fig' ($13) Jamon with figs!  Yum!  Zucchini flowers, goats cheese and honey ($8).  Lamb ribs, pea and lemon ($14).  My pick of the night.  Melt in your mouth lamby goodness. 

Aylesbury duck with beetroot ($39).  Duck fat potatoes ($8). 

Mushrooms.  I can't remember how they were prepared but I think they were a special.  Fish of the day which I again I can't recall the details.  

We were all relatively full but of course there is always room for dessert.  So we settled on:
Petit Four ($7?). Beignets with chocolate sauce ($10?).  Chocolate bar with some sort of ice cream, cherry coconut? ($13?).  I can't find an online dessert menu so I've guessed the prices.  

All the desserts were yummo!!!!!!  Of course the beignets were ordered.  I never say no to fried dough! I think that can be my new catchphrase.  

The Feasting Menu including our desserts and an alcoholic drink each cost us $90 a head which by Melbourne standards is pretty decent for the amount food we were served.  Compare this to Añada where we paid $80 all up including wine.  Well, Añada pips The Aylesbury for value.  Food-wise, we got more at Añada and I distinctly recall being absolutely stuffed but not so much so at The Aylesbury.  

Overall, there's nothing bad to be said about The Aylesbury but their prices are more or less a reflection of it's CBD location in comparison to the grungy inner 'burbs of Añada.  No dishes were that spectacular or memorable but they were definitely all very good and it's still decent value nonetheless.  It's biggest advantage is the central location and bonus rooftop bar.  Definitely worth a return journey.  

No comments: