Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cafe Cibi

Continuing on our Eating Mission, Spu and I checked out the traditional Japanese breakfast offerings at Cibi.  I'm not sure if we were lucky but breakfast was still available to us at 2pm.  Cibi is housed in a cool bit of converted warehouse space and there was something a bit hipster about it that made me uncomfortable.  Maybe it was all the hipsters sitting inside, wearing their non-prescription hipster spectacles and hipster clothes.  

After scanning the menu, I settled on the Traditional Japanese Breakfast with all the bells and whistles ($14.50 I think).
Brown/white rice, potato salad, poached salmon, tamago and green beans.  

It also came with miso soup, nori, a sour plum, fermented beans (Tasted like smelly feet.  I didn't finish it.) and pickled cucumber.  

Spu had the soba salad ($12 I think).  Nice but I've made soba salad myself and it's not $12 worth.  

There's no doubt that Cibi is a different and healthier take on the usual breakfast offerings around town but I didn't feel there was anything that special about it.  It's nothing I've never eaten before and I find no novelty value in eating rice (or Asian style food for that matter) at breakfast.  The hipsters surrounding me certainly didn't help the situation.  I couldn't help but implant thoughts in their head - 'Bacon and eggs?  Hmph, that's so mainstream.' *adjusts hipster scarf*

Cibi.  Nice but I'm just not won over by it.  

2 comments:

mallymoodle said...

The entire thing sounds hipsterish.

You know, like taking things from a distinct culture and serving ordinary things at inflated prices.

Like tapas!

Pooey said...

I have to give Cibi credit though. It is run by Japanese.