Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Snuggie Love

Ok so what I'm about to tell you makes my (very high) position on the Cool-o-meter hit rock bottom - I bought a Snuggie blanket.  If you have been avoiding all types of media for the past few years and don't know what a Snuggie is then you should watch this very informative video.
Mine wasn't an original - oh the shame! - but one of many replicas available at any homegoods store.  As much as the advertisement has been the butt of jokes and ridicule, I was sold.  I needed this blanket dammit and had even asked Suboo to make me one.  I've been caught in those exact situations where your hand was too cold to reach out for the remote!  I didn't know what to do!!  Should I reach out, let my hand turn cold but be able to change the channel?!?  Or should I keep my hand inside, unable to switch to something less mundane?!?!  Oh, the dilemma.  

One of my workmates mentioned how she and her hubby would curl up on the couch with their Snuggie blankets and I was reminded that I had not yet joined the cult.  So off I went to the blanket area at work and made my purchase.  
$16.83 for a Snuggie which zips itself up into a cushion!  Dual function!  A pocket at the front for your remote!  What an ingenious addition!  It also had a 'foot pocket' so your feet wouldn't escape to the cold!  

The love for this Snuggie did not last long.  It smelled like petrochemicals and gave me a headache.  I kept breathing in the fibres through my nose and I felt like a cat who kept getting furballs at the back of their throat.  So I washed it.  It still smelled and I was still getting furballs.  So I washed it again and tumble dried it.... again and again.  The smell stopped lingering after about four washes but the furball effect just never let up.  My love turned to anger >:-(  Do you understand my frustration?  I wanted to love this blanket so much but all it was doing was twisting my pure, wholesome love into pure.......unadulterated...........hatred.  I had thrown out the receipt so I couldn't return it either :-S
Not liking you at all, you Crappy Snuggie.

Anyway it reached a point where I could tolerate it no more.  I had to do something about this terrible Snuggie and so I went on a Snuggie hunt.  Lucky for me, I found my solace quite quickly at Target and more disturbingly so, I felt REALLY HAPPY to find my new Snuggie.  It was like... alll this pent up, buried anger just disappeared.  I can't believe the passion I felt.  It really frightens me and I'm afraid I might be bordering on a psychotic disorder.  

There a few things about the new Snuggie - Target called it a Cuddle Blanket - which made me so happy.  The material was a billion times better - it was the typical polar fleece which although synthetic is very soft to touch and it was much thicker than Crappy Snuggie.  I didn't breathe in any fumes or fibres either.  Also, it had velcro attachments at the neck and at the back - your Snuggie need never fall off!  It didn't a foot pocket  but that didn't matter because it was loooooonnger than Crappy Snuggie.  It didn't have a remote control pocket either but with all those other pros, this new Snuggie was the outright winner.  

The other thing that gave me pure joy was the price - it was $15.  Already $1.83 cheaper than Crappy Snuggie.  But not just that, it was $15 and on special for $12.83!!!!  With that in mind, I took two blankets to the counter with the intention of giving one away.  To my absolute delight, each blanket scanned in at the register at $8.91!!  PURE JOY!!! :D :D

I waddled back to my apartment with my two happy Snuggies in tow.  Overjoyed by my bargain, I excitedly told Spu who seemed underwhelmed by it all.  But I was eager to share the love and I was still pretty annoyed that I thrown $16.83 down the drain for Crappy Snuggie so the logical thing to do was to buy... two more!

So... er, that's exactly what I did the following day.  Thus, 11 days after my initial Snuggie purchase, I am now the proud owner of four Snuggie blankets.  I didn't have much of a selection in colours so I've got one red one and three evergreen ones.  Don't worry, I'm not completely crazy, I just sharing the love - one is for Ma, one is for the Magic Couch/Me, one is for Moo for her Bavarian Winters and one is for Smee for when he is gaming at 5am.  
Oh yes, I sure am happy now.  This is just what I needed in life.

Spuey disrespecting the Snuggie and demonstrating improper use.  Tsk, tsk.  Put your arms in the sleeves please!

I hope someone out there understands what I was going through with my Snuggie frustration?  Someone?  Please? 

3 comments:

J said...

The FD is with you on that one sista!!!

euloong said...

nah you need one of these: http://www.geniegadgets.com/gadgets_uk/musuc-bag-adults.html?src=fnd_ppc

Pooey said...

FD - I'd wear that. Much like, I'd wear this too. http://www.lazypatch.com/