Sunday, February 24, 2008

Valencia - Day 3

At about 7am we woke up to gunfire and explosions which rattled the hotel windows. Ok, ok I found out later it was actually firecrackers and that this was part of the Falles Festival. Anyone who knows me, knows that I like my sleep. This 'gunfire' went on for a good 20-30 minutes or so but I refused to get out of bed, choosing to cover my head with the blanket as a feeble attempt to drown out the noise. I figured if this was the Apocalypse/a terrorist attack/building implosion/machine gun massacre then I would rather die in bed then outdoors in my pyjamas.

J and Leesh got up and bothered to investigate and being the tourist bunnies went down to enjoy the festivities. Nup, sorry no thanks, no firecracker festival for me. If this was in my itinerary - then ok, yes I will go, but no, you damned surprise firecrackers, you ruined my sleep!!! I must have my revenge and sleep in as much as I can!!!

The street after the many, many firecrackers. J having a go at contributing to the noise. Obviously, I stole these photos from Leesh because I definitely wasn't there.

When we finally decided to get out of bed we did some touristy stuff but missed out on seeing the interior of La Lonja cos we missed the opening hours :( We weren't blessed with the sunshine of yesterday but instead had a grey, drizzly day. Lunch was at Cerveceria 100 Montaditos, a tapas bar with a slight twist as all the tapas were served in mini baguette rolls. The menu was a bit difficult - it was all in Spanish, but we managed to find the baguettes we wanted.

(L-R, T-B) All the yummo baguettes, although the blue cheese one was a bit overpowering. Kt nursing the baby baguettes. Spanish olives - so yummy, taste like chicken powder!! All the olives I had in Valencia tasted like chicken powder. If only I can find source these somewhere in London. Variation of pickled vegies. Not usually a fan, but these tasted like chicken powder too!

We wandered the streets a bit more, took a few obligatory photos (one below and I have no idea what it is).


Our hotel.

The flight home was nothing eventful. Overall, Valencia was a sweet lil city which I wouldn't mind visiting again! I might be a little bored the next time, but I'm sure the Spanish sun will compensate for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We also managed to scam thick hot chocolate and pastries for breakfast on our early morning jaunt, Valencians are so nice! :) Albeit our lack of Spanish skills, they were so welcoming and helped us get in to the spirit.. it was an early start though! Good to see your blog up and running again. j