Sunday, February 10, 2008

Madrid

Aaaah Spain. One of the places to tick off my to-do list. Nothing beats a London winter more than a Spanish one. It wasn't t-shirt weather but 18 degrees is nothing to complain about.

Smee and I stayed at the Hotel Puerta America, a groovy hotel where each floor is designed by a different famous architect. The hotel wasn't walking distance to the city although easily accessible by metro-ride, it was still somewhat of an odd location given that a block of (presumably) government housing flats were situated next door. It was as though someone said "I'm going to build a funky hotel *here*" and pointed to map while blindfolded. By all means, I'm not saying don't stay in the hotel or it's in a ghetto, but I couldn't see any other reason why the hotel was placed there. Oh well.

Getting off to a good start on the food stakes, we stopped at a tapas bar for erm.. tapas. It is a little disgusting that smoking is still allowed indoors in Spain.. bleah.

The victims of our appetite and the pork legs hanging from the walls.


It wasn't that warm, but warm enough for gelati, I say!


We stopped by the Royal Palace but it had already shut for the day :( So here's a view from gates.

I can't remember what this building was, but it was opposite the Royal Palace.

Dinner was at Restaurante Sobrino de Botin, and at close to 300 years old, supposedly the oldest restaurant in the world. Ernest Hemingway supposedly loved this restaurant and Goya allegedly worked here as a waiter - such claim to fame! Spainards eat late and this restaurant was no different, opening at 8pm! A small line already formed at about 7.30pm but the staff inside were quick to usher anyone out who stepped in before the doors officially opened.


We weren't terribly hungry as we'd only eaten lunch at about 3-4 pm so Smee and I held back a little. I begged for some salad as we'd only eat bread and meat all day. Along with that we had some calamari rings and the signature dish, the suckling pig. I never realised the Spanish were such pork munchers.
(L-R, T-B) Our half pitcher of Sangria. The nicest Sangria I've ever had! Either that or I've just had shit Sangria all my life. Probably the latter, I'd say.
Calamari rings, not too oily. Yay!
My piece of the sucking Oink and Smee's piece of the suckling Oink with the hoof only just cut off eek!

Posing with the Porkies.

We actually only ordered a one-person serving of the suckling pig, but cut in half. I don't know how anyone can eat the entire serving - it was just too ..... pork-y. I mean it was nice, but I don't think I'll ever crave it or eat it again.

The next day we headed into the city centre again to check out the El Rastro flea market. This just seemed like any other flea market in the world selling knick knacks and t-shirts that are Made in China. Hmm, I should have considered buying a 'Madrid' t-shirt but seriously, when and where would I wear it?!

Standing in the Plaza Mayor.


Chippie time in the Plaza Mayor.

Hunger struck us again and after trundling the streets we found a tapas bar with the following menu:

Don't worry, I didn't understand the English either. Ear to the plate?!?!


Taking turns with the tapas.

Our final task before departing was to purchase some Jamon Iberico, a Spanish cured ham which is similar to in texture to prosciutto. This ham has such a deep flavour and is one of the nicest hams I've tasted.

The Spanish eat SO much meat and this jamon (ham) while looking mighty tasty does look might fatty too, but the Spanish aren't a blubber bunch. Such a mystery. Wikipedia answered all my questions and it all comes down to the Iberian piggies being fed acorns! Which means, we're essentially eating acorns! Healthy, fatty ham, how's that for awesome?
Can't get enough of the jamon legs hanging from the rafters.

Leaving Madrid was a breeze. The metro rocks and the airport is brand new!

2 comments:

mallymoodle said...

Hmmm...looks like they did a literal translation in that menu!

Fried and nice and warm!

Anonymous said...

Update your blog bitch with ur trip to Australia! hahaha.......