Monday, October 08, 2007

Book Review: A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers

I want read this book long time. I saw in book shop. I think maybe very very interesting story. Is about Chinese girl, go England, study English. This story not too hard reading. I very quick reading finished. She every day go school, learn English. She meet man, then go to he's house. They live in he's house. She love him.

This book is written in first person whereby the Chinese protagonist's second language is English, hence the inappropriate grammar and vocabularly. Is the above paragraph annoying? Or somewhat endearing? I am leaning towards the former.

First, I'm going to ignore the content and examine the prose alone. It was a bit distracting and sometimes exaggerated but that in itself was not repulsive enough to stop me reading. After a while, I just went with the flow and it was barely noticeable.

Now - the content. Me no likey. It was impossible to identify with the main character. She was to put it plainly - a moron. Yes, yes, there is a coming-of-age component but her naivete was to the point of disbelief. I would have to also consider that her incorrect use of English amplified her unworldly views. Probably the effect the author desired. I couldn't tell if the author wanted us to like or dislike the protagonist. Possibly neither.

Let me tell you more about the main character and why she frustrated me. *spoilers ahead*

  • She's 23-24 years old and has been sent over from China to develop her English skills in hope that it will assist in expanding her parent's shoe making factory. She meets a guy, 20-something years her senior and moves in with him after one week. ONE WEEK. They can barely have a conversation.
  • She lives rent-free and lo and behold a sexual relationship begins and they kinda fall in love. I should say more correctly, she falls in love with him. He appears to have a strong homosexual past. She falls hard. Why? It beats me. There appears to be little else in common. He's vegetarian, she eats meat. She a student, he's a labourer. Their conversations are really just a basis for her to extend her English skills.
  • He tires of her endless questions (ok that's bad on his end) and tells her to go off travelling in Europe. She goes but misses him dearly but she still goes on to have sex with a complete stranger within half an hour of meeting him. She stays at other random guy's houses. Within minutes of meeting a complete stranger, she follows him (it's only ever a male) off to wherever they're heading.

I'm all for 'loss of innocence' stories but she was so annoying. I need to slap some sense into her.

Also, the sexual descriptions were merely a unifying theme and I felt they were there to serve as a reminder that it is a book about 'lovers'. I didn't find them explicit but that isn't the point. Yes, yes, yes, it is a coming of age tale however, I do think that the story could have been just as good (if not better) sans the obligatory and commonplace addition of sexual scenes. I couldn't help but contemplate that such scenes, few as they were, were included to satisfy those who fetishise about the 'exotic orient'. Maybe I'm taking offence where no offence should be taken.

Alright, despite the criticism, I would still recommend people read this book. Don't let my dislike for the lead character put you off. Other book reviews consider her poignant and charming.

Content: 2 - 3
Readability: 1 (sometimes) - 2
Would I recommend this book: Err... yes?
To who: women who like soppy rubbish and are easily shocked. Only for the purpose of de-sensitising you. You know who you are.

No comments: