Friday, April 20, 2012

Mutti's

I've had a weird craving for schweinshaxe over the past week so what to do?  Go to Mutti's and drag Spuey along to eat with me!  He did not express the enthusiasm I expected but that may be because he's eaten there twice already.  Despite having our Vue de Monde feast only two days ago, a last minute booking did not deter Tina, Shazza and Dr. R for an encore of gluttony.  Constable also came along for kicks.  

Having eaten in Germany numerous times, I know that Mutti's can't compare to the Motherland and it is a kind of mish mash of German, Austrian and nearby countries but overall it does a decent job. 
Brettl Jause ($36 for two).  We ordered a platter for four along with some fresh pretzels.  Me like cured meats, cheese and terrine.  Yummy!  Actually after this platter, I was already feeling a bit full. 

The Schweinshaxe or 'Free Range Pork Hock' for you non-German folk ($59 for two).  It's nearly as wide as Spu!  This came served with peck kraut salad, paprika spiced kipfler potatoes, german mustard, apple sauce, caraway and dark beer jus.  In other words - too much food for two.

This could easily have served three people.  Tina noted his hock last time was a little dry.  Ours was only a bit dry on a small outer section but I think this should be somewhat expected for a huge hunk of meat.  Needless to say, Spu and I couldn't finish it.  Dr. R, Shazza and Tina were too full from their own meals to assist us.  I told the waiter 'This serves three, not two!'  He just laughed at our feeble attempt and said they regularly have men who can demolish the entire thing alone.  

I was too full for my own dessert so I settled on a gluhwein.
Zenzen’s Glühwein 8.5% ($7).  I was expecting a mug but instead it was served in a chalice!  Yes it reminded me of the German Christmas markets.  I don't know who Zenzen is though.  

Constable's strawberry tart.  ($12?) Forgot it's German name.  The strawberries were dipped in a dough and fried.  It was ok.  

Schwarzwalder Kirsch ($12?)  I think Tina ate this.  I had a taste.  It was nice.

The desserts overall were pretty average.  However they are seasonal and I wouldn't mind trying others including the apple strudel.  

Yep Mutti's is the place to go for your German fix.  I haven't been to Hofbrauhaus in a long time but the chilled out atmosphere in Mutti's would be more my cup of tea nowadays.  

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

You were in training for your visit!