Friday, April 27, 2012

Laksa Bar

A girl needs to keep her brows and moustache in check and after a threading session at Rooprani, a girl needs to eat.  

On a side note - I think I've found my Melbourne threading place!  Yay.  It's incomparable to the £5 (brow and mo) I pay in London ($30 at Rooprani, approx £20) but you just gotta come to terms with the cost of services here.  It is significantly better than the $45-60 being charged at other salons.  After trialing two other threading places - one of whom completely butchered my brows resulting in me having to fill one of them in with a pencil for a month - I'm happy to call Rooprani my regular... for now.  

Back to the eating.  Striking things off the hitlist, Spu and my freshly manicured brows checked out Laksa Bar.  There are some mixed reviews but from what I've read, the Aunty owner does say she doesn't necessarily cook her dishes as authentically as people would like, rather she cooks it to her own personal taste.  Hence why you may see reviews about people complaining about unconventional toppings.
 Homemade barley drink ($4.20).  Refreshing! 

I ordered the Assam Laksa ($13.90) which came with toppings on the side.  (Onion, lettuce, tomato, pineapple).   

Yep, that's a close up shot. 

Spu had the seafood curry laksa ($15.90)

Spuey wearing his complimentary bib.  Good for office workers!

Smee cooks a pretty mean Assam Laksa and come to think of it, I don't think I've ever eaten Assam Laksa elsewhere.  Using that as a benchmark, I'd say I was happy with Laksa Bar's offering.  The soup was nicely thickened by the chunks of mackerel fish and the soup stock appropriately errr assam-like.  I'd prefer a bit more fresh mint topping in mine but yep, if Smee didn't feel like cooking this for me I'd be happy to pay up Laksa Bar.  Spu's laksa was nice too.  I do agree that the tomato pieces aren't expected but who cares?

Yup, will be eating here again.  It's next door to Gami so you can have a fried chicken entree first! 

No comments: