Thursday, January 08, 2009

I ♥ my Uggs!

I held off for as long as I could in regards to the Ugg boot trend. I mean, it's a relatively new boot in the eyes of Hollywood and celebrities alike. Me? I was brought up in a land where sheepskin footwear had strong associations with bogans and dole bludgers. It's a hard thing to shake off.

Sure, I had a pair of pink sheepskins moccasins (or 'moccas' as I endearingly nicknamed them) when I was young. From the age of 8 to 9 I wore them everywhere - in the house, out of the house, to the parentals workplace, to the library.... I don't think I ever wore them to school despite my peers being quite bogan-y. Even back then, I knew that I didn't want to lower myself down to the plebs. In Australia these things can be bought off the shelf at markets all over the place and no one can deny their warmth and comfort.

When the celebrity trend started (thank-you Pamela Anderson) my initial reaction was 'eeerrrrrrrrr'. My opinion still remains 'eerrrrrrr'. However, I have succumbed to the Ugg-wearing masses. I'll emphasise it's not succumbing to a trend (although that helps) but because I can no longer stand having snap-frozen tootsies. Being in cities where it's common for winter temperatures to hover around 0 degrees has left me at the end of my tether.

Of course I'm not a moron who will go and buy those exhorbitantly priced 'Ugg Australia' branded boots.
£180 (approx about AU$380) for a pair of sheepskin boots? Wtf?! On top of that, it's an American company (Deckers) and their boots are made in China? Pfffffft. I'll put my money to the Aussie-made stuff and support the farmers, thanks. My boots cost me AU$140 :D

I settled on chocolate brown.

Since getting back to London I've walked to work in them many, many times and my feet remain warm and toasty :D I'm practically living in them now in this dreary winter! Embrace the bogan!

6 comments:

J said...

u wore moccas to the library? that is out in public..

Pooey said...

i was a kid! and i made sure i didn't wear them to school!

mallymoodle said...

I don't remember wearing mocs to the library! You're making this up for entertainment value!

Pooey said...

no i really did wear them to the library. The memory is etched in my mind because I remember vowing not to do it again cos it made me feel povo!

Spu said...

bogan

SuBoo said...

*hi-five* to bogan-ness!