Thursday, September 04, 2008

Blood Brothers: The Musical

Well I followed a few others (hai Suboo!) to the long running musical Blood Brothers. The story is set in Liverpool and chronicles the lives of twin boys separated at birth. One is brought up in relative poverty and the other in relative wealth.

The first thing I noticed when entering the theatre was that it was almost empty, maybe a quarter of the seats filled at most. Fair enough - this show has run for 20-odd years.

I was told that I would CRY while watching this musical. Errr... no, that didn't happen. I mean, yeah it's a tragic story but it's nothing that hasn't been the premise for a Korean drama. Also, right from the beginning the story screamed tragic ending.
I did hear someone sob in the audience. Must've been a hardcore fan.

It didn't have the razzle dazzle of other productions and felt more like a "play with music", than a musical. The songs were ok...maybe more just not to my preference. Something a little unusual was the inclusion of a stage narrator who lurked in the background. He was distracting enough. The face that he resembled my office building manager (he's got crazy hair) was even more distracting. I do have to compliment the lead actress who played the twins mother. She looked maybe a 50-ish and had a pair of really great legs.

I can't say I disliked Blood Brothers, but I certainly wouldn't watch it again. It was just so-so and not to my liking. If you're a seasoned theatre-goer who adores the fancy productions, then Blood Brothers would be a different - either a refreshing or a disappointing - night out. There must be a reason why this has ran for 20 years. I think it must appeal to those who love a tragedy. Hey, I'm no stone-hearted biatch (I cried during the SATC movie, of all things), but I'm not going to shed tears if I'm not moved.

So yeah... Blood Brothers gets a 'meh' from me.

4 comments:

SuBoo said...

Wow - I was just telling my friends last night how good this was - especially because it was quite different from your run-of-the-mill razzle dazzle musical!

Pooey said...

ok suboo, i've modified the blog to reflect other ppl's thoughts :D

SuBoo said...

Just so it is fair heheh
Hmm I really need to get into these Korean dramas... I just think though that if I start I won't ever stop. I waste enough time doing nothing already!!

J said...

Oh I always thought this musical was about that war movie that came out not too long ago.. it's a box set.. hmm... was tom hanks in it??? i can't remember...