Monday, January 07, 2008

Purchases

Hmmm I don't usually do this but I don't think I've ever done a proper shopping post. As much as the shopping in New York rocked, I was extremely disciplined. Yeah I bought some clothes, shoes, make up - the usual stuff. It's hard to resist when the prices are half price when compared to UK and Australia.

Anyway, one of my goals was to get two dresses for the upcoming weddings. I have loved BCBG dresses ever since I stepped into my first store in Singapore and especially more so when I found out that Summer on The OC wore a lot of BCBG. That certainly explains why I really liked her clothes. They're not terribly expensive either. It's a shame that it's not sold in Australia and of course it is double the price in the UK. Damn the pound!

Anyway, I managed to get two BCBG dresses for US$130 each at Woodbury Common. Wow, it was so cheap! I'd never be able to buy a dress with tulle, lace, boning for that kind of price elsewhere in the world! Well except maybe less developed countries where you exploit the poor seamstress and then worry about your ethics.
My two bargain dresses.

I didn't want to whinge but I will. Technically the black lace one has thin straps and the ruffle one is strapless. But I'm not going to kid myself - they are very similar and are clearly based on the same design. Not only that, but the colour is similar. Unfortunately beggars at an outlet mall can't be choosers and while I would have preferred maybe a halter neck or something else, none of my other choices were available in my size.

It just so happens that this weekend I bought another dress at Harvey Nichols hahahaha. I didn't mean to - really I didn't! We were meant to be searching for a dress for J, but I ended up finding one for myself, which I've decided I will wear to Meme's wedding. It was £50 marked down from £200 or something.
I will say it does looks crap on the hanger.

Hmmm other essential stuff I got - a Nintendo DS Lite. Well actually I didn't really want to buy one and it wasn't even on my list, but the same argument goes - it was half the UK/Aust price! I'm even happier that I got the limited edition crimson/black one.

I've named him 'Ninny' cos I'm so original. I put on those red glasses just to match him.

Finally, I thought I should show you what I bought from Berlin Zoo. A child's tshirt, size Large and a cloth Knut bag. I do fit the child's t-shirt and there's a slim possibility that I can pull off wearing in the street. Maybe.... maybe.... The cloth bag is for you Moo. Your make up is actually inside it in this photo. I also bought a plush toy but he didn't walk into the photo in time.

On a totally unrelated topic, I am still reading that Bill Bryson book. Well actually no, I haven't touched since for nearly two months. I'll try to finish it, but I'm tempted to write my book review already.

5 comments:

mallymoodle said...

So pretty!!!

Lynn said...

Oooohhhhhhhhh......sooooo pretty. I concur. The layers of lace are similar to one of my dresses - we have the best fucking taste! You're across the world and yet we still buy similar things.....freaky. We're so twins.

Unknown said...

feck!

i didn't know you were doing so much travel! whoa! nice dresses (i like the black/lace one hehehe)...where did you stay...ie. what hotel and how much was it...barcelona also has really good shopping...probably not for dresses tho (that i can remember)....man i really enjoyed all your pics from trips...day by day as well!! (wow)...hopefully get to catch up before i leave..i'll post somethign on facebook like an open invite gathering somewhere...gotta decide where tho..if you have any suggestions on a decent place for drinks and snacks lemme know :)

michelle

Anonymous said...

hi Sluttie,
I really like the dress you plan on wearing to my wedding - only 6 weeks to go!! Can't wait to see you all!

Anonymous said...

Nice dresses! $130 is a good deal, but I saw one really similar to that blue one on http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/bridal_shops_dresses.html for way cheaper. Might just be my local store selection, but I wanted to let you know.