Sunday, November 11, 2007

Crab vs. Lobster

After our lobster adventure, Smee had the audacity to circulate my photo to other female members of the Circle. It's a crap photo, my skin looks like shite, my face all puffy from lack of sleep but whatever.

Anyway, J kept referring to Lobbie as Sebastian. Me, being on the same wavelength, totally understood her reference the 'The Little Mermaid'. Last night, on the way to BT's birthday celebrations, Sebastian the Lobster came up into conversation and it went something like this. Also, try to picture all of us on a London double decker red bus on the lower floor, sitting at the backseat.

Kt: Sebastian? He's a crab.

J and I: WHAT?! Nooooooo, he's a lobster!!!! What makes you think he's a crab?

Kt: I wikied it and it says he's a crab.

Me: Whatever. Anyone can write anything on Wikipedia. Look at Sebastian's head, he has a long head! He's a lobster.

J: Yeah, he's a lobster! He looks nothing like a crab!

Kt: Yeah but wikipedia says he's a crab!

J: How did you google it? Why did you google it?

Kt: I just typed 'sebastian, little mermaid, crab' and that's what Wikipedia showed.

J & Me: No way!!! he's a lobster! Look at him!

Mona (pipes up from the seat in front of us after checking the web from his mobile): He's a crab. It says so on wikipedia.

Me: Yeah but anyone can write anything on wikipedia!! Tell me what it says on the Disney site.

(You can see this argument never ending)

J: What!?!? No, he's a lobster!!!

Kt: Have you guys watched The Little Mermaid? I swear they say he's a crab in the movie. It's on the DVD too.

J and Me (indignantly): Nah, no way they say that. Yeah of course we've watched it!

J: Have a look at his head. He has a long head. He looks NOTHING like a crab.

Baoey: (sits in silence and pretends to not know the rest of us)

Parts of the conversation are slightly fabricated, but you get the idea. We must've sounded so silly to the other passengers sitting on the bus. Full grown adults arguing in the back seat about the shellfish status of the Sebastian in The Little Mermaid. We weren't exactly quiet either.

Look at the picture above? Does that not look like one of the lobsters I ate?

Anyway, I can't remember how the conversation changed topic - maybe the bus stopped and we had to get off, but I still was convinced that Sebastian was a lobster.

Today, I had to settle it once and for all. I had to get to the bottom of this Sebastian Lobster/Crab debate. And I concede - HE'S A FRIGGING CRAB!!!

Damn Disney. Can't draw for peanuts! All these years, I believed him to be a lobster. I feel cheated of my late childhood.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have watched The Little Mermaid in it's entirety.

UPDATE: A few days later, I had to ask Mooey about Sebastian - Queen of Stupid Trivia that she is - and she came back with "Lobster". A-ha! Damn Disney.

She was in disbelief, just as I was. As she says, "It was like I believed the sky was green."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I TOLD you he was a CRAB. Glad to see you've finally let it go and accepted that the Grand Empress is correct. Her word cannot be contested. *sigh* when will you ever learn!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and as further proof, they DO mentioni it in the movie! Here's the script:

http://www.meeko.org/disney/mermaid/script.html

Search for crab. Hah! :P

J said...

Disney is so stoooopid.. what kind of crab has such a big head???? ?????????

talk about misleading the public.. now a whole generation will grow up thinking that crabs look like lobsters.. then how will lobsters be representeed????

anyway.. i'm over the indignation..

that was seriously the funniest blog.. i think i laffed for a solid 5 mins... GOLD frannie.. u're GOLD!

and oh yeh... it's even funnier for the fact that we weren't drunk on the bus, we were stone cold sober, shows u how much we believed in ourselves!

J said...

i h8 disney

T said...

haha. my friends and i had the same argument with yours. same points. the head and all. sebastian is a crabster then. lol

Anonymous said...

You could've ended this pretty quickly by pointing out that lobsters have tails. Idiots.