Sunday, March 11, 2007

Camden and Portobello Markets

To market, to market to buy a fat pig.... well not really, but there was a market (or two) involved. Not of the pig selling variety though. Baoey, Mona and I decided that yesterday was THE day to go to the Camden and Portobello markets.

If anyone wants to kill a food craving, just ask Bao. She will make sure you never crave it again. Her specialties include nutella and banana crepes, rice paper rolls and sushi rolls.

Here's Baoey cooking up a crepe storm in her kitchen


Bananas and nutella up close.


And now a not so close up shot.

I ate two and felt sick. Not to say they didn't taste nice, but it was far too much for breakfast. Bao insisted she would have three but forced Mona to finish her food instead. Hehehe


Ummm, I did say we went to the Camden market but there is no photographic evidence. Camden is a bit of an alternative area, with many pierced punks and goths wandering the streets. A lot of character here. I should've taken some photos but didn't feel like the touristy bit today. Whether this is true or not, I was told that it is common for ppl to come up and offer to take your photo (with your own camera of course) and once they are about to hand back your camera, they'll ask for money. No doubt I will risk this when I return for more visits.

Market-wise, it was full of knick knacks, but after a while all the shops looked the same - either that or I wasn't looking hard enough. Plenty of cheap food too in the most unhygienic open air conditions. Given the relative difficulty of finding a toilet in London, we wisely stayed clear of any tidbits.

Next was the famous Portobello Markets, nestled in Notting Hill, a lovely area with *charming* pastel coloured townhouses. I wanna live in one!!!

Some of the townhouses.


Oh look, George Orwell lived here - author of "Nineteen-Eighty-Four". The copy of Animal Farm I read was illustrated :D


More townhouses. How quaint.


The beginning of the markets.


Who's a happy tourist???


Bao and I are the co-founders for the North Face Puffa Jackets Club. Anyone want to join? Membership is free. Genuine friendship appreciated.


Hai Mooey, I took this photo for you. I don't know what they sold inside.

After bypassing all the antiques, we found all the funky clothes stores and tried on a few bits and pieces here and there. No purchases worth mentioning here though. I do have to keep an eye on my quids. Anyway, we ended up back on Oxford st of all places and making purchases in Zara instead.

Oh yes, and the sun is finally shining in London. No more darkness at 3-4pm - the sun doesn't set until 5-6ish now!! Yay! Blue skies!!! It was 16 degrees the other day. I nearly broke out in a tshirt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a puffy north face jacket!!! It's baby blue! Let me join, let me join!!!

mallymoodle said...

That crepe sure looks yummy!!! How could you not finish it, poos?

Jess said...

Excellent blogging Franky! Did you try the red velvet cupcakes at the hummingbird cafe in portobello?

Anonymous said...

Hi Pans,
now i promised i would drop a comment - so i am keeping to my word. it might be a little belated, but i am slow. Aren't you excited to received my first comment. i have no idea what you wrote in your blog, but i am sure it was interesting :)

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm........crepes. They look yummy....frannie, you got sick after two crepes? It sounds like your infamous stomach of steel is becoming weak. Eat up I say!