Saturday, January 21, 2012

More Green Balls

After Monday night's tennis watching, I decided 'Hmmm, yes I will become an Australian Open Member.  I want to buy finals tickets for next year.'  Whether or not I'll actually be able to attend the finals is another story.  Oh well, I'm sure there are people out there who would happily take my ticket.  

As a result of becoming a member, I was also given two 'free' ground passes.  Yes, they're 'free' but really, the costs have been covered by my membership fee.  With two ground passes at hand, what else but to make use of them!  

Being the middle weekend of the Open, many of the better matches would be on Centre Court or Hisense Arena.  Spuey and I made sure we got there reasonably early to park our butts on the unallocated seats of Margeret Court Arena to at least guarantee seeing some seeded players.  
Our view.

My very big hat.  Fanks Moo.

A legends match.  Henri Le Conte and Guy Forget versus Richard Fromberg and Darren Cahill.  Probably one of the most entertaining doubles matches I've seen.  Henri Le Conte is a cracker.  

Spu and I also saw Makarova defeat Zvonereva, Gasquet defeat Tipsarevic and Borat national and lookalike Kukushkin defeated a clearly injured Monfils.  As usual, the women's match was a snorefest.  Gasquest and Tipsarevic gave us some action and brought out the French chanting 'Alllllleeeeeeeeeezzz!!  ' and 'Gasquet fans in the stands.  If you can hear us claps your hands!'. *clap-clap, clapclapclap, clap-clap-clap, clapclap!* 

I was looking forward to watching the gangly Monfils, however the match was disappointing.  He obviously strained something very early on in the first set and was managing only pissy 140km serves.  This gave 90-something ranked Borat ample opportunity to win free points.  It was quite painful to watch a dejected seeded player facing off a not so polished opponent.  I really thought that he would lose in straight sets after losing the first two, but Monfils held out and lost in five.  *Applause* but still, Monfils should've given Borat a beating.  What was more entertaining were the crowd.  One asked Monfils to take the game seriously and ask who was his bookie.  Other spectators cheered 'GO BORAT!' and shouted 'Veli naiiiiice'-Borat style.  You gotta love the witty crowd.  

Despite the big hat and frequent sunscreen application, I still got sunburnt.
My ridiculous one arm tan.  The sun was beating down on my left side and as a result, I protected Spu from the sun!!  

Next year, hopefully I'll be posting about the finals!!!!

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

Glad to know my giant hat collection is getting a work out!