Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rocking the Barossa with Spu

A year ago, the Barossa was rocked by me (Poo), Moo and Suboo.  This year the Barossa was going to be rocked by the Spu.  Actually Spu's not that much of a drinker so it was really going to be rocked by me again.  The tour I really, really wanted to book wasn't going ahead due to lack of numbers.  Boo hoo - it had structured wine tastings at Jacobs Creek, Peter Lehmann, Richmond Grove and a cooperage tour at Seppeltsfield.  Sounds good!  Anyway, my second choice was the Taste the Barossa tour and it was chosen on the basis that I hadn't been to 3 of 4 wineries.  Gotta sample everything!
Spuey with our bus.   

The first stop was to check out the acoustic qualities of the Whispering Wall.  Having been here last year, this time I walked all the way over to the other side to listen to our guide chat to us.  The clarity of his voice was unbelievable.  Move over telephones, all we need is a curved wall!
Spu thought it was pretty cool.  Then I forced him to re-create mine and Moo's pose from last year.  

Our first winery was McGuigan at Chateau Yaldara.
Yes, there was a chateau.  

Our group was taken through a tasting and they were all pleasant enough.  The sparkling pinot gris, sauvignon blanc were both ok but I'm not big on whites.  The chardonnay I quite liked.  It smelled like tinned tuna (not as bad as it sounds!) but tasted like toasted cheese.  Those childhood memories of eating tuna on toast with melted cheese came flooding back to me.  (I know it's a weird mix, but you experiment with foods as child).  We also had some moscato which was nice but just a tiny bit too sweet.  The reds began with a shiraz viognier; the viognier making the red a bit lighter and easier to drink.  Their shiraz was nice but not enough for me to pull out my wallet.  Then we finished with a 20 year aged tawny.  The absolute highlight of the bunch!   But at $50 a bottle I decided to hold back.

Next was the Peter Lehmann winery.  He's a fairly well known name in the wine industry and our guide filled us in on the humble beginnings.  Back in the late 1970s, the Barossa was going through a glut whereby winemakers were not buying fruit from grape growers.  Peter was already a renown winemaker and rather than see the grape growers be left in financial ruin, Peter suggested that he take the excess grapes and pay for the fruit after wine was produced and sold.

He churned out some awesome wines and the rest is history.
 Ready for some more wine! 

Spuey with the wine tasting lady in the background.  Our lunch, a platter of cold meats, cheese, spreads and bread.  It was nice especially the german sausage, beetroot chutney and soft cheese but it was not enough food for Supergut!  

We were given quite a treat at Peter Lehmann and tasted eight wines.  I gave the riesling a 'nup' because I don't really like dry whites.  The semillion was ok.  The Layers was definitely a winner and was a mix of pinot gris, muscat, gewurztraminer, chardonnay and semillon.  If any white wine was going to convert me from reds, this was going to be it.  Very easy to drink.   The shiraz and cabernet sauvignon were both ok but when we were given a taste of the 2006 Stonewall shiraz, well it was clear this was a premium drop.  So smooth and naice!  We were then given some of the Black Queen sparkling shiraz which I thought I would like but I ended up thinking it was just ok and not really not my thing.  To finish off we had the Princess moscato which was very yummy!!! Not too sweet and with a hint of fruity fragrance.  At just $18 a bottle I bought a bottle for me to enjoy later.

The next winery was the ever faithful Langmeil.
It was actually just walking distance to Peter Lehmann and so we followed the signs on over.   

Spuey evoking the blacksmith and cooper within.  

We weren't given the Langmeil tour which I've heard twice before and as a result I felt there was a lack of appreciation for the wine.  I knew the Freedom shiraz vines were 160+ years old but I don't think anyone else on the tour would have any idea!
Spuey and his large wine bottle.  Spuey enjoying the tawny.  Num nums. 

I've tasted all the Langmeil wines at previous visits but I was more than happy to drink them again.  I do have to comment that their signature Freedom shiraz didn't impress me as much as last time!  Maybe the 2008 vintage was a bit of a down year but in all fairness, the wine hasn't matured.  I'm confident it will only get better with age.  I also enjoyed the 20 year tawny port enough to hand over $35 for a bottle.  So warming, so naice!

Our final stop for the day was the Murray Street Vineyards which is run by a descendant of the Seppelt family.  The current generation of Seppelts however are no longer associated with the wines of their namesake.
We first stopped near the Seppeltsfield winery and admired the palm trees which were planted by workers who were thankful for not being sacked during the Depression.  

The Murray Street wines were all a bit ho-hum.  By this time of the day I was pretty jolly and maybe my palate was a bit overwhelmed.
We did meet a doggy named Jasper though.  Here is Spu teaching him to sit.  

We relaxed on the 45 or so minute drive back to Rad City and sobered up a bit before heading out for dinner.  Spuey had mentioned a few weeks ago that he had a hankering for Spanish, so off we went to Mesa Lunga which Moo, Suboo and I thoroughly enjoyed last year.
I was still tipsy but we ordered the clara sangria anyway.  So refreshing and deceptively intoxicating. 

We left the chef do his work and asked for a selection of six tapas dishes.  We started with a plate of jamon, manchego and bread.  Then some meatballs.  I can't remember what meat it was but I think it was chicken.  Mushies.  Must have some veggies somewhere in the mix.  

 Mini hamburgers - yums!  I love hamburgers!  Chorizo.  This was either a bit overcooked or a bit too salty.  Tortilla.  It was nice but generally I am not impressed by tortillas.  It's just egg and potato! 

Eating with Spu makes me feel like a pig.  For a boy, he doesn't really eat much.  Either that or I eat too much? Maybe?  Maybe?
I can resist fried dough so I ordered the churros for dessert.  They were pretty average.  There weren't enough churros sticks!!  

Ok, so I'm a pig.  Mesa Lunga delivered a nice meal again and I definitely recommend going there if you're in Rad City.  But otherwise, we shuffled home without too much swaying and are ready for a well-earned sleep. Drinking and eating is exhausting!

4 comments:

mallymoodle said...

Piece of good news, I'm pretty sure I've got a bottle of the langmeil tawny aging in our wine cupboard at home already!

Also, spu hardly eats anything for a guy which is why he's a brown skeleton instead of a jolly ball like me and you.

SuBoo said...

No no, never tiresome! Just tiring :)

Mmmmm port...

Pooey said...

Moo - I learnt something on the tour. Tawny means it's done all it's aging and once opened it can last forever! But if it's a vintage port, then once opened, you gotta consume within days.

Suboo - Fanks to my Engrish police. I could argue it is 'tiresome' but mebbe a better word is exhausting! I wrote the blog at 2am! It was tiresome! haha

SuBoo said...

LOL sorry to be anal but I was very sure that you didn't find the actual activity tiresome! Superguts not liking drinking and eating?? Not possible!

Also my word verification = fries hehe