Thursday, January 06, 2011

Egg Custard Buns aka Yum Cha-ing with Smee

I like custard.  I like egg custard too.  Which means that I also egg tarts whether they be of the Chinese, Portuguese, British or any other origin.  I also like steamed egg custard buns which in Cantonese are known as 'lai wong bao/nai wong bao'.  I don't usually eat bao at yum cha because they can be quite filling and the white flour-ness of it all is not best on my stomach.

But today while eating at Crystal Jade I decided to skip my usual egg tart dessert and opted for the egg custard buns instead.  Service at the restaurant was unexpectedly good.  Prompt trolley service and waiters politely apologising for interrupting our meal with their dumpling offerings.  After living in London, I had become accustomed to shoddy service.

Anyway, the buns were nice and warm.  The custard a nice thick paste of sweet, egg-y goodness.  I hate it when the custard has hardened due to over-cooking.  Anyway the purpose of this blog was to display the below picture:
I noticed something funny about these baos.  They could be substituted for my eyes!  

3 comments:

SuBoo said...

Or something else!

mallymoodle said...

Something else?

Mmmm egg buns *cry*

Pooey said...

Yes, I did think they could also be substituted for 'something else' but I like to keep my blog free of innuendo. Hehehe