Sunday, June 14, 2009

Elsa Peretti Exhibition

I was made aware of the Elsa Peretti exhibit at the British Museum by accident after purchasing one of the Sunday newspapers back in March. My regular Sunday newspaper reading had pretty much ceased when I moved to London and being near a Sunday paper nowadays is rare for me. I later came across this article and reminded myself to head off to the museum and look at Elsa's designs before they are carted off. Whilst JD was here she had seen it and thought it was something worthwhile.

Smee went off to play badminton and I enjoyed the company of .. my own self! It was a lovely day I might add to go for a walk to the museum. I nearly got a tan! (Too bad I don't like tanning).

I can't remember how I came to admire Peretti's designs. I acknowledge that there's been a bit of overkill with the open heart range and many a copycat but I have to confess that this is one of my favourite designs.

The exhibit was small (so fans, don't get your hopes up) but it details how Peretti sources her manufacturers and displays some of her sketch pads. I took a few photos but they didn't turn out so great.
Oooh the bean clutch.

Silver chain mail bags, diamonds by the yard and the ever present open heart necklaces.

Bone candlestick holders and errm.. I think it was soup pot.

Not an exhibit for everyone but those appreciative or curious about jewelry design should give it a whizz. I do wonder why that this exhibit is at the British Museum rather than the V&A?

No comments: