Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Knitting Answer Book

My recent obsession with knitting has lead me to accrue an wondrous assortment of knitting related stuff. Anyone just learning how to knit? Come to me, I'll probably have something you can play with! The difficulty with not personally knowing a professional knitter can leave me in a sticky situation when I don't quite understand pattern instructions or just need good old fashion guidance. I could ask my dear Mummy, but hmmm she's on the other side of the world and hasn't knitted properly for a good two decades. Where's a Rental Knitting Grandma when you need one? I've found the next best thing - The Knitting Answer Book!

You could try and carry a laptop in your knitting bag and access the various helpful websites (Knitting Help is an excellent one and youtube has heaps of videos), but it's not exactly practical. This book is smaller than your average novel, more like a pocket dictionary but it's packed full of knitting tips, conversion tables and diagrams. It sits very happily in my Cath Kidston knitting bag. I first picked up the book in Loop and thought 'Hey! This is really useful!'. Of course, then I went to Amazon to find it cheaper haha. Hmm I just realised the author runs knitting classes. Useful to know, but I don't reside in the US.

I don't think I can apply my normal book rating scale here as it's not really something you read from start to finish but I'll rate it anyway:

Quality of Content: 4 if you're a knitter, 1 if you're not
Readability: 5 if you're a knitter (very plain English), 1 if you're not

For those who can't find the answer to your knitting dilemma and need a bit of human touch (via email or in person if you live in London!), then I totally recommend Aneeta Patel of Knitting SOS
. She'll happily answer your email query (efficiently too! Roughly about a 24 hour turnaround) all free of charge! Aaaah, some people are just so generous!

No comments: