Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Picking up the Sticks

I first learned how to knit... oh I dunno about 16 years ago. My ma is a trained seamstress and a deft hand at knitting and crochet. While growing up our house was always full of sewing kits, thread, material, yarn and knitting accessories. I remember trying to teach myself how to knit from her books but in the end it was all a bit confusing and she taught me the basics instead.

I began a scarf of which I completed one half, got bored, set it aside and it was completed about 3 years later by Mummy dearest. I still own it!

For a skill that lay happily dormant for the better half of my life, for some reason I've been itching to learn it again. Maybe it's the impending London winter. Maybe I'm just getting old. When someone suggested going to knitting classes, I said YES! When someone else said they had a friend who's been knitting since she was 5 and was happy to teach us, it was even happier times!

I bought my knitting needles and a ball of yarn in preparation for the free class, but they sat there longing for me to play with them. That is where the age of information comes in handy. I basically re-taught myself the long lost knitting skillz before the free class even started. This website was particularly helpful.

So when everyone gathered at my place - all seven of us, I did feel like a nerd who completed her homework before everyone else. I can't help it, I got really excited!

At the same time, I can see this is bordering on obsession. Also, I'm not exactly a fast knitter and I can see that this will already eat into my recreational time. I barely have enough time to blog, exercise and read books as it is. Grrr, why do I always have to pick up the time-consuming hobbies!?! It's a love-hate thing. *pat pat the knitting needles*

No comments: